Accommodations for College Entrance Exams

Nov 27, 2022 | Accommodations

Parents of high school students with disabilities often wonder how to apply for accommodations for the SAT, PSAT, ACT and Advanced Placement (AP) exams. Accommodations that may be available for these exams, subject to demonstrated need, may include extended time, breaks, and use of a calculator or assisted technology, among others.

The College Board administers the SAT, PSAT and AP exams. The ACT organization administers the ACT exam. The College Board and the ACT grant accommodations for these exams, not the student’s high school. Therefore, students need to apply for accommodations with the College Board and the ACT.

That said, high schools do have a role in this process. Typically, a high school will appoint a coordinator who will work with students with disabilities to request accommodations from the College Board or the ACT. Families can learn more about the process and timelines for applying for college entrance exam accommodations by reviewing the accommodations sections of the ACT and College Board websites, and by checking with their child’s high school.

Families can also gather information about the format and requirements for each exam, in order to determine the accommodations that their child may need. Requested accommodations are usually based on the accommodations that a student currently receives in school through their Individual Education Program (IEP) or 504 plan. Therefore, parents may also wish to review their student’s IEP or 504 plan to ensure that it is up to date and reflects the student’s current needs and level of functioning.